Monday, October 7, 2013

Feel Good After Eating Nuts & Seeds–Reduce Phytic Acid

Ever experience bloating or other issues after consuming nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, grains? If the bulk of your diet consists of much of the above then you may want to consider soaking these foods before consuming.

Why soak? These foods contain high levels phytic acid which interferes with our bodies ability to digest & absorb the nutrients & minerals in these foods. This extra step is actually a small effort that can make a BIG difference in how you feel after consuming these foods. You want to be able to enjoy your food without feeling bad afterwards, right?
I know about this stomach bloating issue very well. I used to eat a ton of raw nuts and seeds when I was on the raw vegan diet. I knew about the benefits of soaking but for some reason it just didn't sink in back then. After consuming them just like clock work, I would get a bloated stomach.

These days, within the last 2 years, I'm totally out of that lazy spell that I had in regards to food preparation for maximum benefit. My personal results are proof that taking a little bit of prep work before consumption is worth it. Also, every time that I see the gunky residue from the soaked nuts, reminds me that I should never eat them raw.

These jars of raw almonds were soaked for 24 hours in spring water. The jar on the left was rinsed 4 times. The other jar had not been rinsed yet.



What became of those almonds that I soaked? Pan roasted almonds and homemade almond butter. D-e-l-i-s-h!




There's just no comparison to the ease of digestion and the taste of soaked nuts with further roasting in a saturated fat. My choice of fat for the almonds was lard which further helps with digestion. I'm talking un-rendered lard that was bought from the farmer's market and rendered at home.

So go ahead, try this small step. I'm curious to know if you feel a difference.

Want more detailed info about phytic acid? Here's another post that I did with more details: http://funwithfashion-healthylife.blogspot.com/2013/06/could-phytic-acid-be-cause-of-stomach.html#.UlNft80_fMc

-Have Fun with Fashion and a Healthy Life!




No comments:

Post a Comment